Renewable Energy at Community Level
Renewable Energy Community Schemes (RECS)
Aim of this project
A detailed feasibility study based around Monmouth to:
• Identify acreage suitable for woodland planting which, with sustainable management provide fuel for community heating schemes, the contribution these plantings would make to the reduction of surface water run-off, any land management that would assist in additional reduction of surface water run-off.
• Advise on the contribution to the reduction of surface water run-off from community orchards.
• Identify suitable watercourses for the installation of micro hydro schemes with the direct benefit of providing power for local community use.
What will the project achieve
Our principle objective is to have a plan – hence the need for the feasibility study. We expect this study to identify:-
• At least twenty sites suitable for woodland planting.
• At least four sites suitable for community orchards.
• Two or three water courses suitable for micro hydro schemes with potential for flood alleviation measures. It would also act as an indicator as to whether, as a separate exercise, such a survey would be beneficial to cover a wider area of Monmouthshire.
The application for this project was approved by the LAG on 19th October 2016. Atkins Ltd, the appointed consultants, started work in August 2017 with an anticipated final report available in the spring of 2018.
Total cost of the project
£30,000.00 (RDP Amount: £24,000.00)
Our other projects
Take a look at our completed and ongoing projects in Monmouthshire.
Robotics in the Community
The aim is to carry out a pilot for an outreach community education programme to help technologically-vulnerable people adjust to new technologies and
Tintern Abbey Trail Project
This project will develop and install a iBeacon trail around Tintern. Locations, with stories relating to Tintern Abbey, will be identified for a shor
St Mary’s Priory Centre Project
The Priory Church of St Mary was originally a Benedictine priory founded in 1087 dissolved in 1538 then became the Parish Church of Abergavenny by gif
The aim of this project is to teach language skills and knowledge of another cuisine and culture at the same time as catering skills. The project i
Village Hall Energy Make Over
The basic premise of this proposal is to select an energy deficient rural village hall and assist hall management with the securing of capital funding
Nature Isn’t Neat!
This project will develop an area based pilot approach (village or town) to becoming a Pollinator Friendly area. It will engage with stakeholders to r