Renewable Energy at Community Level
Renewable Energy Community Schemes (RECS)
Aim of this project
A detailed feasibility study based around Monmouth to:
• Identify acreage suitable for woodland planting which, with sustainable management provide fuel for community heating schemes, the contribution these plantings would make to the reduction of surface water run-off, any land management that would assist in additional reduction of surface water run-off.
• Advise on the contribution to the reduction of surface water run-off from community orchards.
• Identify suitable watercourses for the installation of micro hydro schemes with the direct benefit of providing power for local community use.
What will the project achieve
Our principle objective is to have a plan – hence the need for the feasibility study. We expect this study to identify:-
• At least twenty sites suitable for woodland planting.
• At least four sites suitable for community orchards.
• Two or three water courses suitable for micro hydro schemes with potential for flood alleviation measures. It would also act as an indicator as to whether, as a separate exercise, such a survey would be beneficial to cover a wider area of Monmouthshire.
The application for this project was approved by the LAG on 19th October 2016. Atkins Ltd, the appointed consultants, started work in August 2017. The final report comprising a RECS Handbook, RECS Storyboard and RECS Effectiveness Calculator was signed off in June 2018.
Total cost of the project
£30,000.00 (RDP Amount: £24,000.00)
Our other projects
Take a look at our completed and ongoing projects in Monmouthshire.
Pen y Cae (off grid energy study)
The aim for this funding is to produce a costed feasibility study for an off-grid property which will become a small bothy-style centre for residentia
Master Planning for Heat Networks
To undertake an energy mapping and modelling study of The Vale of Usk area to identify potentially useful heating, cooling and power demand loads and
IoT and Independent Living
To pilot digital solutions enabling individuals with care needs to live safely and independently at home. At the same time, there are still areas w
Robotics in the Community
The aim is to carry out a pilot for an outreach community education programme to help technologically-vulnerable people adjust to new technologies and
Tintern Abbey Trail Project
This project will develop and install a iBeacon trail around Tintern. Locations, with stories relating to Tintern Abbey, will be identified for a shor
St Mary’s Priory Centre Project
The Priory Church of St Mary was originally a Benedictine priory founded in 1087 dissolved in 1538 then became the Parish Church of Abergavenny by gif