Wye Valley Woodland Project
The aim of the project was to inform, educate and advise landowners and the general public about protected woodlands of the Wye Valley and Monmouthshire and promote activity that would lead to their continued conservation and enhancement.
What the project achieved
The project was successful in carrying out a number of activities such as : –
- Veteran Tree Assessments – A consultant carried out a survey on a number of designated areas which identified and recorded 130 veteran trees within these sites. The records have been shared with The Ancient Tree Hunt, Wye Valley AONB and SeWBRec.
- Deer Monitoring – The Dee Initiative (DI) has undertaken a survey on the projects sites, undertaking initial deer impact assessments, which will inform and direct them to coordinate ongoing deer control across the project woodlands.
- Woodland Owner Training Courses – A number of workshops were coordinated and delivered during this project including charcoal making, veteran tree training and a number of woodland workshops. Overall a total of 78 people attended these training courses.
- Landowner advice – Approximately 10 woodland owners whose woodlands are within a 2km distance for the River Wye have had their woodland visited, surveyed and reports have been written to provide best woodland management principles.
- Guided Events – 4 guided walks were organised.
Total cost of the project
RPD – £7491
Match – £7797 NRW
Total Cost – £15,288
Our other projects
Take a look at our completed and ongoing projects in Monmouthshire.
Carbon Literacy for Communities
The Carbon Literacy Project is an internationally recognised peer to peer training programme that promotes climate change understanding and empowers i
Farm Options Study
To conduct a study into the potential future uses of a Monmouthshire county farm. The tenancy of the farm lapses, without a renewal requirement in e
MCBT Educational Boat
The Community Boat project aims to renovate a canal barge and base the boat on the Monmouthshire Brecon Canal at Goytre Wharf, from where it would
Cluster Schools Education Project
The Aim of the project is to develop an active partnership with local schools and Abergavenny Food Forum. It is intended to develop a circular pilot
Building Resource for Farm Enterprise
The overall aim is to develop a pilot programme to support the local food economy so that more food consumed in Monmouthshire is produced in the regi
Farming Community Network Exhibition Unit
Farming Community Network (FCN) has obtained funding for a mobile facility to assist farming families and rural communities and offer them help with n