Wye Valley Woodland Project
The aim of the project was to inform, educate and advise landowners and the general public about protected woodlands of the Wye Valley and Monmouthshire and promote activity that would lead to their continued conservation and enhancement.
What the project achieved
The project was successful in carrying out a number of activities such as : –
- Veteran Tree Assessments – A consultant carried out a survey on a number of designated areas which identified and recorded 130 veteran trees within these sites. The records have been shared with The Ancient Tree Hunt, Wye Valley AONB and SeWBRec.
- Deer Monitoring – The Dee Initiative (DI) has undertaken a survey on the projects sites, undertaking initial deer impact assessments, which will inform and direct them to coordinate ongoing deer control across the project woodlands.
- Woodland Owner Training Courses – A number of workshops were coordinated and delivered during this project including charcoal making, veteran tree training and a number of woodland workshops. Overall a total of 78 people attended these training courses.
- Landowner advice – Approximately 10 woodland owners whose woodlands are within a 2km distance for the River Wye have had their woodland visited, surveyed and reports have been written to provide best woodland management principles.
- Guided Events – 4 guided walks were organised.
Total cost of the project
RPD – £7491
Match – £7797 NRW
Total Cost – £15,288
Our other projects
Take a look at our completed and ongoing projects in Monmouthshire.
Pen y Cae (off grid energy study)
The aim for this funding is to produce a costed feasibility study for an off-grid property which will become a small bothy-style centre for residentia
Master Planning for Heat Networks
To undertake an energy mapping and modelling study of The Vale of Usk area to identify potentially useful heating, cooling and power demand loads and
IoT and Independent Living
To pilot digital solutions enabling individuals with care needs to live safely and independently at home. At the same time, there are still areas w
Robotics in the Community
The aim is to carry out a pilot for an outreach community education programme to help technologically-vulnerable people adjust to new technologies and
Tintern Abbey Trail Project
This project will develop and install a iBeacon trail around Tintern. Locations, with stories relating to Tintern Abbey, will be identified for a shor
St Mary’s Priory Centre Project
The Priory Church of St Mary was originally a Benedictine priory founded in 1087 dissolved in 1538 then became the Parish Church of Abergavenny by gif